We are looking to hire team members who will grow with us as we evolve to meet the changing needs of our community. Your commitment to the animals will be matched by management’s commitment to helping you grow your skills and resume. We are looking for mission-driven long-term hires. If you are passionate about animals and enjoy a collaborative environment, we encourage you to apply.
Animal Care and Customer Services Team Member
Be on the front line of caring for pets in need! Perform routine animal care and facility cleaning procedures in order to support a healthy animal population. Participate in training and enrichment programming to improve adoptability and maintain the mental and emotional health of shelter animals. Work collaboratively with staff and volunteers to accomplish daily tasks and long-term goals. Provide excellent customer service in the shelter and at outreach events, including adoption counseling, pet retention services, and other public-facing duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out routine kennel cleaning duties, adhering to sanitization and cross-contamination protocol.
- Provide for animal food and water requirements as directed.
- Assist with the intake and outtake of animals, including health assessments and examinations.
- Monitor animals and report health, behavior, and temperament issues to supervisors or medical staff as appropriate.
- Work with supervisors to respond to the changing needs of our shelter animals with behavioral and medical plans.
- Administer preventatives and basic medications as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Safely and securely transport animals as needed.
- Operate laundry, cleaning, dishwashing, and other equipment as assigned.
- Assist in cleaning and maintenance of facility and grounds as directed.
- Cultivate positive customer relations through professional, courteous, and educational interactions while actively promoting HHSC’s mission, services, and programs.
- Assist customers with the pet adoption process by facilitating customer/animal interactions to ensure a safe and pleasant experience, accurately answering questions, and providing information and guidance.
- Assist the public with lost and found services.
- Provide information on local and state-wide animal welfare resources.
- Answer phones as needed.
- Perform data entry as directed.
- Responsible for cash handling, till balance, plus opening and closing procedures.
Experience and Skills Required:
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent, and be able to write and speak clearly in English. Preference is given to applicants with animal care and/or customer service experience.
- Must possess general computer skills and be able to follow written and verbal directions.
- Model safe work practices by following all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment.
- Bilingual Spanish-speaking candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!
Frequent bending, kneeling, walking, and standing for long periods; exposure to disinfectant solutions; subject to animal bites and scratches; regularly lifting up to 50 pounds. Must be available and willing to work weekends, evenings, and holidays, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines necessary.
Hours & Compensation:
Hours: Full-Time, must have availability between the hours of 8 am and 6 pm on weekdays. Consistent schedules are a must.
New hires will join our staff as part-time employees eligible for full-time benefits at 90-day review.
Compensation: Starts at $14/hr
NOTE: This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Please send your resume, a cover letter, and a summary of your weekly availability by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before April 1st, 2023.