Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Heartland Humane Society! We offer a wide range of volunteer opportunities for groups and individuals of all ages. For information about youth volunteering (without a chaperone) visit our Humane Education page.
Public (parent & child, service clubs, or individuals age 16 and up):
- Animal Socialization (cat, dog, small animal)
- Animal Care (cat, dog, small animal)
- Office/Administrative Volunteering (filing, mailing)
- One-Time Group Service: Cat Care (5-10 people, Saturday mornings or Friday afternoons)
- Outreach Volunteering (adoption events, tabling)
- Volunteering at our Thrift Shop (help earn 25% of Heartland’s annual budget!)
- College and High School One-Time Group Volunteering (5-10 people, Saturday mornings or Friday afternoons)
- School Required Hours for Class Work
- Short Term School Projects
- OSU or LBCC Pre-Vet/Vet Tech students
Please read on to learn more about how to being volunteering at Heartland.
Getting Started – General Volunteering
Because of the time and cost it takes to train volunteers, we ask that our volunteers commit to volunteering for at least three months and approximately eight hours a month. If you are interested in long-term volunteer opportunities at the shelter, you can begin by attending a group orientation to learn more about Heartland and the volunteer opportunities available.
Volunteer orientations are every other month, beginning in January. This schedule allows for new volunteers to integrate into the shelter before adding more. Space is limited, so please register below. Please note, due to lack of space, orientations are not held at the shelter. This orientation lasts approximately 1 hour.
- Wednesday, September 25th, at 6 PM, Corvallis Chamber of Commerce
- Saturday, September 21st, at 12:15 PM, Corvallis Chamber of Commerce
If you are interested in short-term projects please contact the Volunteer Coordinator directly. Short-term projects are available on an as-needed basis.
Students in need of hours for school (including Pre-Vet and Vet Tech students requiring clinic experience) should contact the Volunteer Coordinator directly.
Volunteers with Special Needs
Heartland is committing to providing volunteer opportunities to all members of our community. If you require volunteer opportunities or orientations tailored to suit your ability please contact the Volunteer Coordinator to arrange accommodation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From scout troops and youth groups to fraternities, sororities, and adult service organizations, we love to provide service opportunities for groups of all kinds! Group volunteering is available at special events or at the shelter. Shelter volunteering for groups is limited to cat care, and is available on Friday afternoons (groups of 2-6) or Saturday mornings (groups of 5-10).
For youth opportunities please inquire at email@example.com or call (541)757-9000 x108
For opportunities for college and beyond please inquire with Heartland at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (541) 757-9000 x104
Youth volunteering is open to all ages. Like adult volunteers, youth volunteers age 8 and up must attend a group orientation (see above).
Youth age 15 and under are required to be supervised by an adult, so we encourage parents/guardians to be involved with their child(ren)’s volunteering service. Youth 16 years of age and older are not required to be supervised while volunteering.
Kindness Kids’ Club is an opportunity for youth to volunteer with their peers after school, shelter supervision provided. Visit our Kindness Kids’ Club page for more information.
Volunteer Coordinator Contact Information
Email is preferred: email@example.com
(541) 757-9000, extension 104 The Volunteer Coordinator is often away from their desk. Please leave a message and it will returned as soon as possible.
Thrift Shop, Foster Care, and Court-Ordered Community Service
Fill out a volunteer application
*Thrift Shop Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to schedule your orientation and training in the order in which they are received.