Shelter Notice: COVID-19 precautions are still in effect. Our animal services will remain active while the shelter is closed to the public. Please visit our homepage for more information.
Who We Are
Heartland Humane Society is a local, progressive, not-for-profit animal welfare organization. Founded in 1966, our mission is to build a more compassionate community by teaching humane messages to our youth, caring for homeless animals and strengthening the human-animal bond.
Heartland is not affiliated with any other local or national organization and receives no tax dollars; our work is made possible only by the generosity of people like you. Make a gift today:
Because Every Pet Deserves a Second Chance.
Volunteers Steph and Leo tell the story of how they met their dog, Sammie.
Our Programs Include
- Running an open-door animal shelter where we care for approximately 2,000 animals each year
- Stray pet lost and found services
- Low-cost adoptions and partnering with a network of animal welfare agencies to save more lives
- Visiting local schools and youth activity centers with Humane Education programs that sow the seeds of compassion, teach responsible pet ownership, and animal safety
- Services for low-income pet owners such as a Pet Food Pantry and yearly low-cost spay/neuter and microchip clinics
- A Safe Housing Program for people in crisis shelters.
- Volunteer programs to enhance the lives of our animals and provide job skills training to youth and adults with disabilities
Heartland’s Vision Statement
To carry out our humane commitment to the animals of Benton County by operating an open-door shelter and caring for homeless animals; providing education and enrichment programs to promote healthy human-animal bonds; offering access to low-cost services to those in need, with an emphasis on population control; developing progressive outreach programs; setting a high standard of animal care and husbandry; supporting opportunities for clinical education; and enhancing our funding resources to continue expanding these efforts.